Where Do I Begin?

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Working after 60: The Impossible Task?

The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
- Walter Bagehot


The above quote made me think about the term, “impossible.” What exactly does that mean? In Christopher Columbus’s time it was impossible to sail around the around the world. Common belief at the time was the world was flat, and one would fall off the edge if one tried. It used to be impossible to have a conversation instantly with someone 1000’s of miles away. Yet somehow we have mastered that little bit of impossibility. In life, there are opportunities that we have passed up due to the belief that it would be impossible to achieve. Looking back can teach us to strive for the impossible. Who knows what we could achieve if we would only attempt it in the first place.

As a child, my father decided it was time for me move from the tricycle to the bicycle. I was not a fool. Being witness to how many times my older brother fell, I was convinced I would never learn. However, my father was an incurable optimist. He insisted that I try it. Dad put his hand on the back of my neck, held the back of the seat, and instructed me to pedal like mad. With his hand grasping the back of my neck, I had no choice but to succeed if I intended to keep my head attached to my body, or so I thought. Looking back, I laugh, as I realize I was in no real danger. Yet I learned an important lesson that day; that I was capable of much more than I realized.

With today’s job market changing so rapidly, many of us are considering going back for more education. Newer ways of doing things, increased technology, and changing viewpoints are making further education necessary if we hope to stay current. The thought of having to go back to school can seem impossible, yet in fact, the hardest part of the process is making the decision to do it. With online virtual courses, and accelerated college terms, it is now possible to complete a 3-4 credit hour course in just 6 weeks in the comfort of your home. At 60, six weeks will speed by. Think what you could accomplish in 6 months.

There are many benefits for  the employer when hiring older workers. After the age of the baby boom, there was a marked decrease in births in the US. Employers are now beginning to consider keeping and hiring older workers to make up for the decreased amount of workers that will be available in the near future. Do not let the current job market get you down. In this economy, many employers would rather hire a “seasoned” and mature employee that may need less training. Many older workers no longer have the expenses of paying a mortgage and raising children, and do not need a full 40-hour workweek to make ends meet. Less training and less paid hours can equal savings for employers.

With people living to be 80, 90 and 100 these days, why take yourself out of the job arena so soon? It might take some effort on your part, to reinvent yourself and keep yourself current. It will definitely mean you need to redefine your age and what you are capable of at 60. The only thing holding you back is YOU. If you can believe it, then it can be possible, so why not try.

Until later, Leighlee

No comments:

Post a Comment